[TriLUG] where to report scam phone call

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Nov 2 17:17:23 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011, Justis Peters wrote:

> Today, I received a phone call that I believe was a scam.
> The caller claimed to be from "Windows Support" and said
> that my computer had been reporting that it was infected
> via "internet protocol".

I got this on monday. They must be doing Durham.

What surprised me was that the caller had an Indian accent.
I thought all the scams were by Americans or Russians. Maybe
the Russians have outsourced the calling.

I'm looking for a job, so I get phone calls from people with
Indian accents, who are clueless about computers. Instead of
having names like Rajav, they're Alex and Rebecca. When I
get the follow up e-mail it's from Rebecca Wilson. Gimme a
break; you think I'm going to following up on a job being
offered by people who have thrown away their credibility?

> I egged him on

I just hung up. I regretted later that I didn't string him
along for a while.

I almost got taken in by the "I'm in London and got mugged
and lost my credit cards, plane tickets and passport. I need
to pay my hotel bill" scam. The mail was from someone I know
on a local (non-computer) mailing list. I thought I'd wait
to hear something from people on the list who were his
friends. He does travel to London, but he'd been in town all
along. His gmail account had been cracked. He never e-mailed
any of us to tell us he was OK. I just read the other day
that this is a well known scam and so phoned up someone on
the mailing list to find that the fellow had been in town
all along.

Never trust suspicious looking e-mail from people who are
computer illiterate.

Joe