[TriLUG] Net Neutrality under attack again

Adam Jennings agjennings at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 15:21:12 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 2:59 PM, P L Charles Fischer <
cfischer at modernferrotype.com> wrote:

> There is a big difference between net neutrality and web site filtering
> services.  If my ISP wants to offer a porn blocking that is fine.  If my
> ISP insists on blocking porn that is not OK.  OK, maybe porn is a bad
> example.
>
> To say the the regulation is a hysterical reaction to a hypothetical
> problem and then talk about ClearWire is a bit odd.  There is some
> competition for ClearWire, but for a lot of us the cable or phone companies
> are all we have.  The monopoly that a lot of us have to put up with is
> immune to market pressures.

And the reason that there are monopolies in different municipalities is
because of lobbying and government intervention in the first place.  You
can go clear back to Bell lobbying municipalities to make them the monopoly
so that phone service wasn't "duplicated." This happened when their
monopoly was threatened due to smaller phone companies working on
interoperability.

In a true free market, you won't have those monopolies or that pesky Bug #1
that some of us on this list keep trying to overcome

Adam