[TriLUG] strange chars/formatting in received e-mail

Alexey Toptygin alexeyt at freeshell.org
Thu Nov 10 14:33:21 EST 2011

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011, Jym Williams Zavada wrote:

> I use the same client, and see a similar problem on occasion.  I most often
> use alpine on Mac OS X in the Terminal.app, but I also use alpine on Linux. I
> don't recall ever seeing the problem on the latter, and on the former it's
> only been a bother when I've tried to print out the messages.  I've always
> assumed it's some sort of mismatch regarding character set interpretation,
> and I figured eventually I'd get both alpine's and Terminal.app's settings to
> coincide.  Even though I don't find it annoying, I too am curious to find out
> what others have to say about this.

I don't know about alpine, but the last release of pine has a bug that
completely breaks non-ASCII characters in UTF-8 encoded mail (I know my
terminal settings are correct because e.g. less can correctly display
UTF-8 text on my terminal). It can't even export the message correctly.

Having looked at the pine code base, I am starting to think that any
further development based on it is a mistake - there are some real Cthonic
horrors in there. I love the pine interface, so I'm sticking with it for
now, but I think the time is ripe for someone to write a work-alike
implementation from scratch.

 			Alexey