[TriLUG] Own your own cable modem?

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Thu Nov 17 11:40:07 EST 2011

I don't recall a line item for the equipment charge either.  Years ago,
when my mother decided to abandon dial up and go with cable, she bought a
Toshiba cable modem from a local BB.  It saved about ~$5 per month at the
expense of the $100 modem.  Unfortunately, the modem died in about 6
months and she decided that if they fail at that rate to go with the one
from the cable company.  At the time it was Adelphia, which has since been
assimilated into TWC.

So far, I have seen about 2 cable modem failures in about 8 years and 6
modems.