[TriLUG] OT: Laptop Hard Drive

Tom Eisenmenger teisenmenger at charter.net
Thu Nov 17 15:00:46 EST 2011

If you're just looking for a quick spin-up so you can back the drive up,
I've had some success putting the drive in a ziplock freezer bag,
squeeze out as much air as possible, put it in a freezer for an hour or
so, then install and try to boot.  Out of desperation, I've also whacked
the drive with the palm of my hand (FYI, "whack" is indeed a technical
term  ;-)  It is preferable to remove it from the PC before doing so.

When I get home, I'll look around to see if I have a gently-used drive
that would work for you in the meantime.  I can tell you now that if I
do have one it won't be 320GB, probably more like 80-120GB :(  Would
that do?

Tom