[TriLUG] OT: Laptop Hard Drive

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Nov 17 16:10:38 EST 2011

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011, Tom Eisenmenger wrote:

> If you're just looking for a quick spin-up so you can back
> the drive up, I've had some success putting the drive in a
> ziplock freezer bag, squeeze out as much air as possible,
> put it in a freezer for an hour or so, then install and
> try to boot.

I forgot about this. I've had great success with this too.
(You may need a couple of cycles to get all the data off.)
Keep the drive in the ziplock when you pull it out of the
freezer or the electronics will get wet and the drive won't
work (in the only case I got the drive wet this way, it
recovered when dried by warming to room temp). Don't try to
boot from it. That requires a high level of integrity in the
drive. For the moment just try to recover sectors. Put it in
an external USB enclosure and try dd'ing the whole drive. If
there are bad sectors (doesn't sound like your problem,
yours sounds like a dead drive mechanism) then ddrescue
retries bad sectors. ddrescue will time out on a bad sector,
write the sector number to a log and then proceed allowing
you to get the rest of the drive. Then you can send ddrescue
back to retry only the bad sectors till you have to refreeze
the drive.

> Out of desperation, I've also whacked the drive with the
> palm of my hand (FYI, "whack" is indeed a technical term
> ;-)  It is preferable to remove it from the PC before
> doing so.

haven't tried that one. I'd try it after being sure you
can't recover it by freezing.

Joe