[TriLUG] OT: Laptop Hard Drive

Steve Pinkham steve.pinkham at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 20:46:29 EST 2011

On 11/17/2011 08:07 PM, William Sutton wrote:
> It isn't free, but SpinRite is really good recovery software.  It goes
> low-level to recover things, and fits on a floppy for boot.
>
> William Sutton

In this situation, it's probably worse than useless. For a basically
working drive with a few unreadable sectors, spinrite is great.  For any
major problems, it's likely to do more harm than good.

ddrescue first to get as much data off as you can. If the drive survives
long enough and you want to run spinrite later to try to help recover
the last few sectors, you can do so.

Go search the web for ddrescue vs spinrite and you'll find I'm not alone
in this opinion.
--
 | Steven Pinkham, Security Consultant    |
 | http://www.mavensecurity.com           |