[TriLUG] Own your own cable modem?

Steve Pinkham steve.pinkham at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 14:33:45 EST 2011

On 11/18/2011 07:30 AM, Carl Crider wrote:
> To answer the OP, my last modem was one that I owned and ran on TWC cable
> for 4 years.
> Simple to call and set it up.

FWIW, according to many posting on DSL reports and my own experience,
you can't use a self-provided modem for DOCSIS 3 service.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26565061-TWC-Wideband-and-your-own-modem

If you don't have "wideband" you can bring your own, but if you do you
have to use theirs.

I owned my own DOCSIS 2 modem I used for many years, but now I'm stuck
with this crappy Ubee modem.  Even in bridge mode and with the wifi
turned off but with a WPA key set, the wifi sometimes enables itself
with no password(!) as well as other weird behavior. I unplugged the
antennas to limit the signal propagation, but I really should hook it to
a dummy load or put it in grounded wire mesh.

I've found the modem mostly livable in bridge mode (where it would cease
to pass traffic periodically in NAT mode), but really wish I had the
option of replacing it like I did the crappy DOCSIS 2 modem they gave be
before.

--
 | Steven Pinkham, Security Consultant    |
 | http://www.mavensecurity.com           |