[TriLUG] OT: Laptop Hard Drive

Brian Blater brb.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 14:39:09 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Carl Crider <c.crider at gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought the same thing. I may need to reconsider my list subscription.  :)
>
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 Nov 2011, Brian Blater wrote:
>>
>>  Luckily I did have most of the data backed up on a server or another box.
>>>

>> Did anyone notice this? Someone posts to a computer list about recovering
>> a dead drive and he actually has backups! What's the world coming to?
>>

>> Joe

Thanks guys. You did make me laugh today.

I've been caught far too many times without backup, so yes "most" of
the data was backed up, but there was some data that didn't get to the
backup before the drive gave up the ghost.

Now for the chance to learn some more:

As for ddrescue, would that have any possibility of getting the data
off the drive if I can't even get it mounted? What I mean is, I've
removed the drive from the machine and have attached it to a SATA to
USB converter. I can get power to the drive, but the second I attach
the drive to the machine via USB it starts making the "clunk, clunk"
sound and never is accessible. I would figure that in order to run
ddrescue the drive has to be seen by the OS first, correct?

Thanks,
Brian