[TriLUG] Java and AD Authentication

Alexey Toptygin alexeyt at freeshell.org
Mon Nov 28 11:02:29 EST 2011

I've never heard of quite what you're describing, but there is a way that
the browser on a windows machine can automatically authenticate to an IIS
web server in the same AD domain, often called 'NTLM authentication' but
often also referred to as 'integrated windows authentication' or just
'single sign on'. There's no really authoritative web resource I can point
you at, but if you google for "ntlm http authentication" you'll find lots
of related stuff.

Apache does not natively support this sort of auth, but a company I used
to work for (geminisecurity.com) sold an apache plugin that would enable
it to do so. Firefox doesn't aupport this out of the box, but there's
apparently a way to enable it (add firefox to the search terms). IIS and
Explorer both support it.

 			Alexey