[TriLUG] Wireless Router Recommendations

Randy Barlow randy at electronsweatshop.com
Thu Dec 8 12:05:06 EST 2011

I've been looking to upgrade to a faster wireless switch (still on
802.11g). Any recommendations?

I'm looking for an 802.11n that does the dual band dealio. Being
supported by OpenWRT or other open firmwares will be necessary. I'm not
really planning to use it as a router, as I have a Gentoo box for that,
I just want it to be a wireless switch. Here are a few I've been
considering:

Buffalo N600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162047
Price: $94
CPU: 680 MHz
Flash: 32 MB
RAM: 128 MB
Supported: OpenWRT trunk
Con: Atheros chipset (notorious for problems)

Asus RT-N56U
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320062
Price: $129
CPU:
Flash: 8 MB
RAM: 128 MB
Supported: No (Checked OpenWRT and DD-WRT)

Netgear WNDR3700
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326
Price: $100
CPU: 680 MHz
Flash: 8 MB
RAM: 64 MB
Supported: DD-WRT but not OpenWRT

I've seen that there are 450 Mbps routers for more monies too. Is
anybody into that sort of thing?

Linksys E4200V2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124444
Price: $200
Supported: Doesn't seem to be, though is work in progress on DD-WRT

Nothing had tons of glowing reviews, and I'd like something that works
well with OpenWRT (DD-WRT is fine too, but OpenWRT has friendlier
package management) which is why I turn to the LUG!

P.S. This is my second attempt to send this mail. I've noticed that
mail that I send through my own mail server (which relays through a
Time Warner SMTP server) gets rejected by the TriLUG mail server. I'm
sending this from Gmail now, so hopefully it makes it through.