[TriLUG] Suggestions wanted for Linux laptop

Keith Woodie kwoodie at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 16:28:32 EST 2011

I just bought a System76 (Gazelle) laptop, which I am looking forward to
unboxing tomorrow.  I have been down the Toshiba, Apple Macbook Pro road
and I know several people that have bought both Thinkpads and Dell laptops
over the years.  In my experience it has always been "you get what you pay
for".  Dells usually last fine for a few years with light use, but have
poor driver support due to the focus on low cost components.  Thinkpads are
great, but usually are meant more for business purposes and might have
older hardware than the latest dell or toshiba you buy.  Macbook pros are
great, but they also cost a lot.  I love my macbook pro and wish I could
justify the expense for a replacement, but for the cost I just couldn't
justify another macbook pro.

Keith Woodie