[TriLUG] postfix spam blocking

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Fri Dec 16 13:54:45 EST 2011

At 10:45am -0500 Fri, 16 Dec 2011, Jym Williams zavada wrote:
> I agree with you 100% about people depending too heavily on e-mail.
> I like to remind folks that e-mail was designed to be an electronic
> version of paper mail and was never meant to be an instantaneous nor
> immediate form of communication. Instant messaging, phones and faxes
> are, however.

I'd like to explore the notion that "it was never meant to be
[adjective]".  I too agree that people depend too heavily on email, but
for different reasons that you've cited.  It seems to me that the
use-cases for email came about precisely because it became effectively
an instantaneous and reliable form of communication; I'm not currently
aware of a better alternative for individual asynchronous communication.

 From a pragmatic perspective, if we're comparing email to a postal
letter, I would argue it *is* instantaneous.  5 minutes (usually less)
sure beats 2 days of postal mail, and without the incurred cost of
various peripherals.

 From your listed examples, however, I'd argue that it's faster than a
fax, and with better quality.  I will grant that it's not instantaneous
in the synchronous sense of a phone call or instant message, but it has
the advantage of not demanding attention right this second, whereas
those two, to a large degree, do.  In regards to specifically the phone,
it also has the advantage of being cheaper.  40 bucks (+/-) for an
internet connection per month, compared with my friends' cell phone
bills that I occasionally observer to be 80 or more ...

Email is inherently a text medium, and, for the foreseeable future, will
be; it won't -- can't -- replace aural forms of communication.  But for
most business communication, and frankly, most asynchronous
communication (in my life, anyway), email fits the bill.  Heck, if email
weren't dependable (defined to be reliable and fast), there are certain
businesses that would not exist.  Gmail anyone?  Google Apps?

Cheers,

Kevin