[TriLUG] postfix spam blocking

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Sat Dec 17 12:05:57 EST 2011

On Dec 16, 2011, at 6:36 PM, bak wrote:

> On 12/16/11 6:29 PM, Amnon wrote:
>> Guys, being in the ISP business now for 16 years (and not good with
>> Linux at all :-) I see one way to REALY put a big dent in spam. We have
>> systems that list bad IP's, bad emails, bed users etc.  but we don't
>> have a system that lists and maintain a list of legitimate mail
>> servers.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys_Identified_Mail
>
> --bak

Again neither SPF or DKIM is without flaws.  Moreover their is no requirement to use either.  None of the mail servers I've run have ever used either.  Maybe I should, but I've never had mail rejected b/c I didn't have one or the other.  But more than that, you can only use the existence or absence of them is scoring, you can't reject on them, b/c they are not required.   So for me it makes them less useful when you consider the flaws and lack of requirement.

Sorry Dave, I had to chime in one more time :)

Matt P.