[TriLUG] SAN file locking

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Dec 20 13:16:45 EST 2011

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011, Andrew Blum wrote:

> I think what might help is to understand zoning:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibre_Channel_zoning

thanks

> On an aside but related to this thread.  There might be an
> alternative to consider to your SAN vs NFS server storage
> options.  Check out GlusterFS (
> http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Main_Page)
> which presents a single NFS share (or client GlusterFS)
> but from distributed servers on a per file (rather than
> block) basis.

there's not a lot of info on how gluster works here or in
wikipedia. However through wikipedia and distributed
filesystems I got to a description of MooseFS (with a name
like that, it has to be great)

http://www.moosefs.org/

which has separate metadata servers. There has to be a bit
of work writing one of these things.

Joe