[TriLUG] IPv6 Networking on CentOS (RHEL)

Randy Barlow randy at electronsweatshop.com
Tue Dec 20 18:20:38 EST 2011

On 12/20/2011 05:40 PM, Seva Adari wrote:
> I briefly looked at the url and it is not true ip6. Ip6 packets are
> tunneled over ip4, in which case you don't need to get ISPs involved. May
> be that is a good way to get started and have a feel for ip6. To be able to
> do true ip6 routing though, we would still need to work with the ISPs.

Correct. They use a SIT tunnel to accomplish this. I have found that the
bandwidth and latency provided by them is generous. It's not ideal as it
is not native, but it is highly superior to using a 6to4 (which also
tunnels over v4), and I think is also superior to not using IPv6 at all.
Obviously, the best thing would be if our ISPs provided it natively (as
Verizon now does!)

I like to think of the IPv4 Internet as a Layer 2 protocol for my IPv6
packets ;)