[TriLUG] IPv6 Networking on CentOS (RHEL)

Jym Williams Zavada trilugj at jrwz.net
Wed Dec 21 07:33:14 EST 2011

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 at 22:12, Seva Adari wrote:

> Off the topic: Does Trilug have a policy on either top posting or bottom
> posting?

Let's not forget mid-posting, eh? :)

> On topic:
> Not being able to configure static ipv6 will limit you from accomplishing
> much if you manage your own data center or if you try to publish any
> service from your network.

Actually, the automatic addressing that IPv6 uses is quite predictable and
hence easily treated as static addresses.  Like v4 it has a subnet portion
and a host portion, with the host portion incorporating the MAC address of
the ethernet interface.  The URL below does a good job of explaining it:

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPv6InterfaceIdentifiersandPhysicalAddressMapping-2.htm

And there are ways to avoid using real MAC addresses for security reasons,
but I've no idea how that works, so you'll have to google for it.

-Jym Williams Zavada