[TriLUG] SAN file locking

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Thu Dec 22 07:16:18 EST 2011

On 12/20/11 12:57 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> I think google keeps their metadata on separate disks so it can be
> searched faster. Not sure about the details.

I've heard this too. Maybe Aaron could tell us about it. ;)

But I don't think it's a filesystem-level metadata, more of a content
repository thing. Actual content on these two dozen disks, content
metadata on this last one.

> I assume that SAN is out this situation because of cost and the speed
> not being needed. In this case a big NAS box would be fine.

Yes. I've found that NAS (specifically NFS) is very common for this
scenario; relatively cheap, and easy to deploy.

--bak