[TriLUG] IPv6 Networking on CentOS (RHEL)

Seva Adari oddissyus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 18:35:54 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Jym Williams Zavada <trilugj at jrwz.net>wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 at 22:12, Seva Adari wrote:
>
>  Off the topic: Does Trilug have a policy on either top posting or bottom
>> posting?
>>
>>  Let's not forget mid-posting, eh? :)
>

>  On topic:
>> Not being able to configure static ipv6 will limit you from accomplishing
>> much if you manage your own data center or if you try to publish any
>> service from your network.
>>
>>  Actually, the automatic addressing that IPv6 uses is quite predictable
> and hence easily treated as static addresses.  Like v4 it has a subnet
> portion and a host portion, with the host portion incorporating the MAC
> address of the ethernet interface.  The URL below does a good job of
> explaining it:
>
> http://www.tcpipguide.com/**free/t_**IPv6InterfaceIdentifiersandPhy**
> sicalAddressMapping-2.htm<http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPv6InterfaceIdentifiersandPhysicalAddressMapping-2.htm>
>
> And there are ways to avoid using real MAC addresses for security reasons,
> but I've no idea how that works, so you'll have to google for it.
>
> -Jym Williams Zavada

I am not able to wrap my head around the fact that an automatically
generated addressing system could be used as static addresses for
publishing services (via DNS).

I guess, the best way to get a feel for this is to try implementing ip6 on
a system or a subnet and see how the ip6 provides hooks between address
generation and publication of routes to the generated addresses. I do hope
to get to this one of these days!