[TriLUG] IPv6 Networking on CentOS (RHEL)

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Sat Dec 24 10:40:24 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 01:59:41AM -0500, Seva Adari wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Randy Barlow
> <randy at electronsweatshop.com>wrote:
>
> > On 12/22/2011 06:35 PM, Seva Adari wrote:
> > > I am not able to wrap my head around the fact that an automatically
> > > generated addressing system could be used as static addresses for
> > > publishing services (via DNS).

But that's the point.

The "Network" part is pre-determined, just as a IPv4 Class C was assigned to only one entity.

When you apply for an IPv6 address allocation, you are assigned a specific "Network part," which is then combined with the Host part to created a specific machine address.  As you have read, there are different ways of creating that machine address, but the Network part is fixed.

Brian