[TriLUG] bottom/top posting policy? (was TriLUG Digest, Vol 1515, Issue 1)

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Sat Dec 24 16:40:29 EST 2011

At 1:27pm -0500 Wed, 21 Dec 2011, David Matusiak wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 12:00 PM, wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 22:12:01 -0500
>> From: Seva Adari
>> To: Triangle Linux Users Group General Discussion
>> Subject: Re: [TriLUG] IPv6 Networking on CentOS (RHEL)
>>
>> Off the topic: Does Trilug have a policy on either top posting or bottom
>> posting?

> Off topic: Top posting only! Who wants to re-read the whole message
> just to get the the answer?

Sigh.  This argument is, in technological timelines, as old as the
hills, and I don't see it going away.  You can see to which methodology
I personally subscribe, but the point is not that one method is better,
but rather to be mindful that many people will read your message.
(TriLUG currently has 730 email addresses to which each message gets
forwarded, and Trilug-ontopic has 226.)

Whatever you do, make it easy for a reader to get the context of your
thoughts, while also not forwarding gobs of useless thread history.
(Given that TriLUG's internet connection is kindly donated, the lists
encourage folks to snip irrelevant parts of email with a cap around 9
KiB.)  Bear in mind also that these conversations are archived on the web: