[TriLUG] IPv6 Networking on CentOS (RHEL)

Seva Adari oddissyus at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 13:49:34 EST 2011

> But that's the point.
>
> The "Network" part is pre-determined, just as a IPv4 Class C was assigned
> to only one entity.
>
> When you apply for an IPv6 address allocation, you are assigned a specific
> "Network part," which is then combined with the Host part to created a
> specific machine address.  As you have read, there are different ways of
> creating that machine address, but the Network part is fixed.
>

> Brian

In other words, ip6 is not complete autogeneration. A part of it is fixed
in the same sense as a static ip4 space and the rest is autogenerated. That
fits very well into the notion of static IPs. In this case, we have to work
with a provider who issues us the fixed part of the IP6 addressing to us.
This provider is either our own ISP or someone who is willing to accept the
tunneled (over ip4) packets and route for us.