[TriLUG] Sun Ultra 5 freezes under load

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Sat Dec 31 09:03:06 EST 2011

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011, Roy Vestal wrote:

> What version of OS?

Gentoo Linux 3.0 and 3.1.

I've had I/O problems with Debian Squeeze as well, but that was with a
more exotic disk setup (LVM on RAID-1), and I haven't had a chance to test
further.

> If Solaris 8/9/10, you can run /usr/platform/`uname -i`/prtdiag or
> /usr/sbin/prtconf and see if they show any issues with the CPU or RAM?

I've never use Solaris before, and am not familiar with the ecosystem, but
I don't see a SPARC build on the OpenIndiana website and I don't know much
about other distros.

Next I think I'll try NetBSD.

> I've seen RAM and CPU cause that more than anything.

I'm fairly convinced that it's not a hardware problem since I see no
problems when running from a livecd. I currently think it's the CMD-646
IDE controller that is causing problems, but I've tried the legacy and
libata drivers for it and still had the problem.

Jack