[TriLUG] Advice/Job: Occasional In-home Linux Support in Wilson, NC

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Mon Jan 2 13:42:10 EST 2012

I did this two years ago for a neighbor, for the W-box his kids viriated,
and he's been happy Ubuntulating with zero support. He's a welder, not a
gnurd. My own Ubuntu boxes run for weeks without needing anything. Perhaps
your relative's hardware is flaky? Or do they feel that frequent rebooting
is needed and do it anyway?

Or ... do they visit those websites that spray up a nasty pop-up telling
you the machine is grossly infected???

Mod their /etc/hosts with the file from http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/
or find some other way to reduce their fright.