[TriLUG] Sat 21st Jan. TriLUG Wireless Router install and hack day

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Tue Jan 10 15:58:58 EST 2012

I recently set up DD-WRT on a pretty beefy router. My main purpose was
getting an HE tunnel set up directly on the router. There were quite a few
issues that I ran into:

   - While DD-WRT comes with IPv6 support, setting up an HE tunnel was
   entirely manual. This is not your grandma's "check the box and put in your
   password" type of thing.
   - DD-WRT comes with no ip6tables kernel modules. Took me a while to hunt
   down the exact source that my router used, download it and re-compile the
   kernel to get it.
   - The documentation for setting up HE (and other) tunnels for DD-WRT is
   not always accurate since it usually assumes a certain kind of router. I
   have yet to get an account on the DD-WRT wiki and update it (I am, after
   all, a bad person).
   - It is mostly up to the user to set up some kind of a custom init
   script system to start up the tunnel when the router reboots, insert
   ip6tables modules and set up the firewall, etc.
   - DD-WRT's DHCP server does not support IPv6 DNS servers. I am not sure
   if you can do this at all actually, but the net result is that on my
   network most machines get the following /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver 8.8.4.4
nameserver 4.2.2.2
nameserver [IPv6 name server1]
nameserver [IPv6 name server2]

which means the IPv6 resolvers are never used.

The upside is that I got the tunnel and the firewall working and most of my
devices are now on the IPv6 internet (including my Brother laserjet
printer). The downside is that it took upwards of a full weekend to get
everything set up and required advanced knowledge that my grandma wouldn't
have. So it's fun, but it won't let you set up an IPv6 tunnel at your
in-laws or anything like that.

Igor