[TriLUG] SSD-based NFS servers for production - ready for primetime?

Paul Bennett paul.w.bennett at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 13:41:29 EST 2012

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:08:22 -0500, Ron Kelley <rkelleyrtp at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have been scouring the 'net looking for information about spinning
> drives vs SSDs in an enterprise NFS deployment.  After a ton of
> research, I am torn between the 10K-RPM/15KRPM 2.5" Seagate drives and
> the Intel 510 SSDs.

I have mixed feelings about SSDs in the enterprise.

At home, I run four consumer-grade SSDs in RAID-0, and I have yet to have
a problem.

At work, we tried to set up a bunch of enterprise-grade SSDs for a SAN,
and drives were failing just about as fast as we could swap them out. It
wasn't the controller (tested fine on rotary disks), it was definitely the
drives. They just seemed to randomly crap themselves when presented with
any kind of throughput that bumped up against what they claimed they were
rated for. We spent a lot of man-hours and real money tying down the
problem, and ended up RMA-ing the entire shipment, and falling back to
15Krpm SCSI.

Also at work, I run a single enterprise-grade SSD in my workstation, and
so far, it has failed to fail.

Make of that what you will.

--
Paul