[TriLUG] OT: Dell 2650 SCSI error: Start Unit Request Failed

Brian lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Mon Jan 16 09:39:50 EST 2012

Hi Folks,

Thanks to a fellow TriLUGger (John Turner)'s recent generosity, I now
have a Dell 2650 server, which has a 1x5 SCSI-3 hot-swap drive bay
configuration.

I bought a brand-new Hitachi 36GB 15krpm U320 drive for the machine.
After installing it, on bootup the SCSI BIOS reports the "Start Unit
Request Failed" error.

All I've read so far suggests that this means the drive is bad.  That
seems unlikely since it's a brand-new drive.  I've tried it in each of
the five bays, with identical results.  Unfortunately I don't have any
other SCSI hosts I could use to test the drive.

I can hear the drive spin up, so there's that...

Does anyone have some experience with this error?  Is it a case of
incompatible SCSI standards?

Thanks,
~Brian