[TriLUG] What are other Kmail users doing?

Eric Gerney gerney at att.com
Mon Jan 16 12:23:02 EST 2012

Steve,

> Some of my folders can't go to Gmail because they have personal or
> business information I want to keep in my office. But hell, those
> folders I can do individually, one way or another.
I too am a kmail user and just run an IMAP server local to my workstation.
This regulates kmail to just another IMAP client (others can be used easily)
and seems to be working well for me.  I use fetchmail and have configured
dovecot to store all my mail in $HOME for backup, etc.

> Do you happen to know if you can save whole mail box trees to Gmail,
> and slurp them back later? That would make things much easier.
I don't know how Gmail handles this, but running your own IMAP server ensures
mail is stored outside Akonadai and yet still local to your host for IP
reasons.

Regards,
Eric Gerney
TSS/GSI Network Manager