[TriLUG] SSD-based NFS servers for production - ready for primetime?

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Mon Jan 16 13:51:37 EST 2012

Last fall I hit a show stopper with ZFS on a FreeBSD 9.0-RC.  It would panic at the end of a zfs receive (as replication target), and it looks like the bug still hasn't been touched:  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/161533
That experience plus noting the number of serious or critical, open FreeBSD ZFS bugs and apparent lack of recent attention to them scared me away.

http://zfsonlinux.org/ 0.6.0-rc6 is what I'm using on a CentOS 6 machine, to back up an OpenSolaris 10 primary.  This native ZFS on Linux isn't perfect but surprised me - it panics once in a while, but no data loss so far, and performance is good.  The developers seem to know what they're doing, are responsive and actively both completing the feature set and fixing bugs.  Wish I had time right now to help out.  Zfs-fuse also does fine on my work laptop, but lags relative to the above two and Solaris 11 Express.

Current, stable ZFS code in an open source OS is IMHO difficult to find right now, but that situation should improve in the coming months.

Dave