[TriLUG] What are other Kmail users doing?

Eric Gerney gerney at att.com
Mon Jan 16 15:31:47 EST 2012

Steve,

> > Part of my reluctance to run a local imap server is I'd need to set up
> > a local SMTP server also. That can get ugly. What are you using as a
> > local SMTP server, and how did you set it up?
Fetchmail delivers mail to the local MTA, sendmail in my case.

> Why would you need a local SMTP server?
Again, fetchmail requires one, but there's no special configuration

> He's using fetchmail to slurp
> remote mail off his provider's IMAP/POP server for incoming.  Outgoing goes
> out according to the outgoing mail settings in kmail/$MAIL_CLIENT
Bingo.  In fact for $WORK, I established multiple outgoing SMTP servers.  The
trick is to make sure that your Kmail Identity automatically stores sent-mail
on the "server", otherwise you're back into Akonadai storage, etc.

Regards,
Eric Gerney
TSS/GSI Network Manager
AT&T Government Solutions, Inc.