[TriLUG] OpenLDAP - Time limit exceeded

Kristopher Kane kristopher.kane at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 19:19:33 EST 2012

All,

Having trouble with openldap(2.3) on RHEL 5.

I am trying to do an ldapsearch on the entire suffix and return all entries.

Example:

> ldapsearch -x -H ldap://ldap1

This is an anonymous read as far as the slapd.conf acl goes.  It gets
to around the 40th entry of over 300 and I get: result: 3 Time limit
exceeded.

I changed the timelimit in slapd.conf to unlimited and receive the
same result.  I also have done:
> ldapsearch -x -H ldap://ldap1 -l 0
to set the client side time limit to unlimited.

If I specify the managing user in the query:

The search returns much faster (I get over 200 accounts) but still
reaches a time limit.

Google tells me that I have bad indexes.  I'll be honest and say that
I simply copied the default DB_CONFIG from /etc/openldap/ to my LDAP
DB directory and ran slapindex with the default indexes in slapd.conf.

My questions are:

Is there another timelimit variable that I am missing?

Are the default indexes specified in the 'nilla openldap slapd.conf
not good enough for my database to return quickly?  Note:  I'm not
using a custom schema.

I appreciate any help you all can provide.

Thanks,

-Kris Kane