[TriLUG] book for kids on open source philosophy?

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Thu Jan 19 09:45:25 EST 2012

Hullo TriLUG,

A 10 year old I know inquired of me yesterday why my computer looked
different than other's he'd used.  After a brief back forth with only
slightly more detail than this:

"It's just a different program than you've probably seen"
"What program is it?"
"Linux"
"What's that?"

His questions quickly centered on this notion of "Free" and he related
it very well to what he'd read about SOPA/PIPA from the "black screen on
Wikipedia."  From there, he asked where he could read more about it, and
all that I could think of were various essays online.

Unfortunately, most literature that I've run across, is directed toward
adults.  Is anyone aware of literature, books, or other "slightly more
than an article" publications on the general scene of FOSS that would be
*appropriate for a middle schooler*?  Specifically, this 10-year old is
an avid reader, but doesn't have geek parents.

Thanks,

Kevin