[TriLUG] book for kids on open source philosophy?

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Fri Jan 20 10:39:29 EST 2012

At 9:45am -0500 Thu, 19 Jan 2012, Kevin Hunter wrote:
> A 10 year old ...

> From there, he asked where he could read more about it

> Unfortunately, most literature that I've run across, is directed
> toward adults.

Thank you all.  I did not know about the revolution-os movie.  I'll be
interested to check that out for at least my own edification.

@Joseph: though I'm happy to act in that role for him, I only have a
passing (once every 3 or 4+ weeks) interaction with him for 5 minutes at
a time.  When he asked, I didn't want to overwhelm with an enthusiasm he
couldn't quite understand in the time allotted, but I did want to give a
starter resource.  I suppose, like most of the O.S. world, he'll either
appreciate it in his own time, or he won't.  (But he's asking, and I
want to encourage this line of questions!)

@Robert: good suggestion.  He's certainly a lego-lover.

@Jack: I don't know that he'd be in to programming, per se, just (at
this point) the philosophy behind Free software.  I've personally found
that the philosophy behind FOSS, when articulated well, is much more
interesting to most non-computer types, than is what a program or
operating system can do.  In that vein, I'd very much support a TriLUG
family day.  (Good idea!)

Cheers y'all,

Kevin