[TriLUG] book for kids on open source philosophy?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Jan 24 10:14:19 EST 2012

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012, Igor Partola wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> I thought I'd throw a movie out there: Revolution OS
> (http://www.revolution-os.com/)

I didn't know about this, although I have seen the speech
where RMS says "it's GNU/Linux" and Linus brings his kids
out on stage, distracting people from the point that RMS is
making. (As a result I changed my .sig - see last line of my
.sig below).

What I did see in this movie was the greed associated with
the IPOs. Someone did make a lot of money (eg the founders
of RedHat who left shortly thereafer), there was a lot of
money left on the table (the stock price of VA Linux rose
10x during the first day, meaning that VA Linux only got
1/10 of the available money and the traders got the rest).
Then not too long afterward VA Linux goes bust and RedHat
shares dropped to $2.91 (I think).

I regard these IPOs as a disaster as far as getting FOSS
into the mainstream market place.

I didn't understand who Cygnus was (or the "gnu" in Cygnus),
so that was news to me. It seems Cygnus hasn't had the ups
and downs of VALinux and RedHat.

Joe