[TriLUG] CSS question

Glenn Hennessee glenn.hennessee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 15:53:55 EST 2012

IE has always, at least until 8 or 9, gotten the "box" model wrong
which means that things using padding and margins can come out
different than they do with Firefox, Chrome, Opera, et al. You can
read about it at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_box_model_bug.
But, if all the menu items and menu bodys are all the same then I
don't see how the box model problem could be the problem. I have never
liked IE for this and other errors in it's incorrect implementation of
the box model.

All that said, I'm not a fan of using divs for menus. Unordered lists
are all I even see for menus, whether vertical or horizontal. Good
luck.
glenn

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Brian McCullough <bdmc at bdmcc-us.com> wrote:

> Thank you, Glenn.
>

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 03:10:00PM -0500, Glenn Hennessee wrote:
>> You're sure all your divs are nested properly and all the menu items
>
> I have been over and over this, as well as running it through the W3C Validator multiple times ( which likes things ), and I am certain that the nesting is correct.
>

>> are all <p>menu item</p> (or something similar)? If all the menu items

>> aren't identical then IE may not display it right. Have you tested
>> with IE 9?
>
> I don't seem to have IE 9 available, so don't know how it would behave.
>

>> You may need to post a link to the page so we can take a
>> look at it and the CSS.
>
> Unfortunately, this is an internal corporate site, with no access to the outside world.
>

>> You might try a styled unordered list.
>> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/taminglists/ is an old article
>> (2002) but it should work fine today with any browser.
>
> Hmmm.  That reminder that both margin and padding are involved might move me forward.  At the moment, margin is set to 0, but padding has a value.
>

>> http://www.webreference.com/programming/css_style2/index.html is
>> another styled list menu.
>
> I will do some more reading, thank you.
>

>> glenn