[TriLUG] Updates installed, system won't boot now

Brian Blater brb.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 16:48:45 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:52 PM,  <matt at noway2.thruhere.net> wrote:
> Ok, knowing that we are dealing with grub2 helps clarify the path.
> Looking Unfortunately, I am not nearly as familiar with it :(
>
> Looking on the help pages, it looks like GRUB2 changed the indexing, so
> your original partition IDs were correct.  This brings us to the
> following, part below which matches your initial error.
>
> Just to clarify, do you have /boot/grub/menu.lst or /boot/grub/grub.cfg?
>
> File Not Found (Error 15)
>
> This error is the result of a GRUB 2 installation to /boot but a Master
> Boot Record ( MBR ) that points to a different partition/location that
> contains Grub Legacy. This can happen if you don't select your drive when
> running sudo upgrade-from-grub-legacy. Shortly after starting this command
> the user will be asked to select the device (sda, sdb, etc). Highlight the
> drive and press the space bar to select it when presented with this
> screen. Failure to select a drive will result in an Error 15.
>
> Reinstalling Grub2 and allowing the MBR to be changed so that it points to
> the partition containing Grub2 can easily remedy this problem.
>
> To recover from this error, GRUB 2 must be reinstalled. Go to Reinstalling
> from the LiveCD for instructions.

Thanks Matt,

I found the ubuntu forums purge and reinstall grub2 info and followed
that. After getting everything mounted correctly for the chroot
environment I was able to purge and reinstall GRUB2 and even though I
have to manually tell the system to boot from the HDD I at least get
the system booted.

Now to figure out why the system won't boot unless I manually tell it
to boot from the HDD or from a CD.

Thanks to everyone for your guidance.

Brian