[TriLUG] CSS question

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Mon Jan 30 23:12:26 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 07:45:48AM -0500, Glenn Hennessee wrote:
> You may find the Web Developer tool for Firefox from
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/web-developer/ useful
> here. One of the features is to show the CSS that a particular item on
> a page has assigned to it.

Yes, I use Firebug a lot, and also the Web Developer tools quite a bit.

> After installing and restarting Firefox you
> will have a new toolbar with a CSS entry. Under that is the View Style
> Information. Select it and then click on your menu item that works and
> a window at the bottom of the screen will open showing all the css
> applying to it. Click on a menu item that doesn't work and view the
> css for it. My guess you're going to find them different.

Unfortunately, the CSS for every item was identical.

However, I finally found that there was a big difference between "position: nothing" and "position: relative," which is what the code had originally.

It also made a big difference at what nesting level that I moved the "position: relative" to.  When I moved it down one level from where I found it originally, things suddenly got much better.

Brian