[TriLUG] DO NOT CLICK ON LINK IN SCOTT HALL'S EMAIL

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 12:55:38 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Scott G. Hall <ScottGHall at bellsouth.net>
 wrote:

> Hi

I lost control of my spending habits this took all the extra stress off my
> back I was at the end of the road...

http://awesomeholidays.org/lastnews/49ChristopherMitchell/<http://www.evil.spammer.site/>
now
> I am in the lap of luxury

you are cut out for this!

see you later...

ALL,

Do not click on the link in Scott's email!!!!

Dear Scott,

You need to *CHANGE YOUR ATT/BELLSOUTH/YAHOO WEBMAIL PASSWORD
IMMEDIATELY.* Some evil spammer has your webmail password, and is
spamming your contacts.

It is also possible that one of the computers from which you use ATT/Yahoo
mail has a trojan infection, which is collecting your passwords. If you
suspect that might be the case, then I suggest that you run:
TDSSkiller <http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe>,
then MalwareBytes free
version<http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free>,
then ESET Online Scanner <http://www.eset.com/online-scanner>

Also, note that many people use the same password for multiple purposes,
and the bad guys know it. If you have used your ATT/yahoo password for
other purposes, such as bank accounts & eBay logins, then assume that the
evil people have your password, and they may be spending your money by now.
Those passwords need to be changed, too -- and NOT to the same password as
your new yahoo login password.  If you used the compromised Yahoo password
for anything financial (eBay, PayPal, Amazon, bank, stock broker, etc.)
then *change that password right now!*

Also, note that you may *never* reuse that old password.  Not next year,
not next decade.  Never.  The bad guys know that people do that, too, and
their automated programs will continue to try that password, perhaps
forever.

Warmest regards,
Dave
www.GeeksAlive.com <http://www.geeksalive.com/>