[TriLUG] mount cifs problem

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Feb 4 12:54:26 EST 2012

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012, Alan Porter wrote:

>> I can write once, but not overwrite the file
>
> I had a similar problem last week, where I could write files,
> but I could not RENAME them.  I wonder if this is a symptom
> of the same problem.

all boxes here are linux, so there's no renaming going on.

I can write,mv,rm on both the client (to the mounted file
system) and the same directory on the server.

The only thing I can't do is from the 2.6 client is
to overwrite a file on the server.

> For me, the solution was to change "security = share" to
> "security = user".

I did this on the samba server and the client could no
longer login (passwd="" didn't work anymore, and neither did
the real root passwd, which is what I expect the
administrator is). I looked around with google to see what I
was supposed to do different and couldn't see anything in
particular. There was a whole lot of talk about domain
servers which didn't help.

here's a bit of my smb.conf on the server

[tmp]
         comment = Temporary file space
         path = /tmp
         read only = No
         guest ok = Yes

How am I supposed to login now, or is this an exercise for
the student?

Thanks Joe