[TriLUG] What are other Kmail users doing? <SMTP SERVER IS UNNECESSARY>

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Feb 8 07:00:45 EST 2012

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:10:34 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> On Monday, January 16, 2012 12:23:02 PM Eric Gerney wrote:
> > Steve,
> >
> > > Some of my folders can't go to Gmail because they have personal
> > > or business information I want to keep in my office. But hell,
> > > those folders I can do individually, one way or another.
> >
> > I too am a kmail user and just run an IMAP server local to my
> > workstation. This regulates kmail to just another IMAP client
> > (others can be used easily) and seems to be working well for me.
> > I use fetchmail and have configured dovecot to store all my mail
> > in $HOME for backup, etc.
>
> Thanks Eric,
>
> Part of my reluctance to run a local imap server is I'd need to set
> up a local SMTP server also. That can get ugly. What are you using as
> a local SMTP server, and how did you set it up?
>
> Thanks
>
> SteveT

Hi all,

My preceding assertion that I'd need a local SMTP server in order to
have a local IMAP server was false, false, FALSE!!! I had gotten ahold
of bad information.

I've been working with Claws-Mail operating off my local Dovecot server
for several days now, and here's how it works:

* Fetchmail sucks my mail off my ISP's POP3.
* Fetchmail hands the mail to Procmail.
* Procmail uses its filters to deposit the email into the proper
  directories in Dovecot's maildir tree. For instance, Procmail puts
  anything with [TriLUG] in the subject
  into /home/slitt/mail/Maildir/.TriLUG
* Dovecot serves the email out to Claws-Mail. And Thunderbird. And lots
  more email clients. Even Kmail, if I wanted to do that.

We don't need no steeenkin Sendmail!

Or Qmail. Or Exim. Or Postfix.

SteveT