[TriLUG] looking for advice for working on catwalk

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Feb 8 15:17:17 EST 2012

I hope to be involved in a job which requires installing
gear from a catwalk. The installation will be just outside
the catwalk on beams, The workers will be clipped into a
safety cable, and will be working within arm's reach of the
catwalk. The workers will need both hands for the job, so
hanging onto the catwalk is out. Presumably they'll lean
back against the catwalk for balance.

I don't know safe or legally required working practices
under such conditions. Presumably others involved in the job
do, but I won't know if they're correct or safe without
outside information.

Presumably workers can drop/fumble tools/washers. Do you
rope off the area below? A heavy drill could still crater
the floor below. Are you required to have nets immediately
below the workers. Are tools supposed to be strapped to the
workers (eg drill holes in the handles of screw drivers and
tie them to you with nylon cord)?

Thanks Joe