[TriLUG] Need Help with mysql start up on opensuse 12.1

Glenn Hennessee glenn.hennessee at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 12:24:39 EST 2012

Apparently it can be done from cpio'd data, at least according to
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-34545.html
although mention was made of using a different version of mysql than
originally perhaps being an issue. mysqldump is definitely the
preferred backup method but I recall you having a problem with that
under the version of suse you were running.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Paul Boyle <boyle at ncsu.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Glenn Hennessee <glenn.hennessee at gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a bad install of mysql then. Have you uninstalled and
>> reinstalled mysql? and made sure it would start before moving all the
>> old data over?
>>

> Haven't done that yet, but I figure that might be the eventual thing I do.
> If that works, then the problem then becomes can a database be restored
> which wasn't saved with mysqldump?  I have the cpio'ed data but not
> something which was produced by mysqldump.
>
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul D. Boyle
> Director, X-ray Structural Facility