[TriLUG] Discovering SmartOS

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Tue Feb 14 23:00:05 EST 2012

After many years hiatus from blogging, I've been doing a lot of neat stuff lately and thought it was time to start sharing again.

Lately I've been exploring some of the other open source OS's, especially in the Illumos family (forked from OpenSolaris after Oracle closed it back down again). One of the particularly cool Illumos variants is SmartOS, which was designed from the outset as a hypervisor OS. It very happily hosts Linux guests, or native SmartOS guests.

My first blog entry in the SmartOS subject matter is a very high level introduction to the platform. There's nothing really to install since it works best as a live OS, so I skip straight to provisioning your first guest zone.

http://wp.me/p2duuB-2c

Magnus