[TriLUG] local wifi router

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Sun Feb 19 16:58:40 EST 2012

Somewhat OT:

For what it's worth, I used to use a TP-Link PCI 802.11n card which was one
of only a few of its kind on the market (most are either PCI-E or USB, or
if they are PCI, they only go up to 802.11g). While open source drivers are
available, the card behaved very poorly, dropping connections and littering
system logs with errors. It also did not appear to pick up IPv6 addresses,
which seems really strange: eventually I swapped it out for a different
card that uses the Atheros chipset which got worked natively with IPv6
without any configuration changes. Another annoyance was that the drivers
for the TP-Link card did not ship with Ubuntu and had to be compiled by
hand on each kernel upgrade.

I still have the TP-Link card and will gladly give it away to someone who
has the necessary skills and enough time on their hands to make it work
properly.

I have seen many recommendations for TP-Link routers and assurance that
they work well with DD-WRT. Personally, I've stayed with the safer choices
of Linksys and Buffalo and have been happy with those.

Igor