[TriLUG] local wifi router

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Sun Feb 19 17:10:22 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Igor Partola <igor at igorpartola.com> wrote:
> I have seen many recommendations for TP-Link routers and assurance that
> they work well with DD-WRT. Personally, I've stayed with the safer choices
> of Linksys and Buffalo and have been happy with those.

Just be aware that dd-wrt compatible does not mean that the router has
open source drivers even if it does run linux.  The dd-wrt firmware
typically uses closed source, binary only, drivers for the wireless
and ethernet switches, and these drivers only work with very specific
and out of date kernel versions.  So if you want the flexibility of
upgrading it again in the future, or trying out some of the newer
kernel facilities, find a router that is supported by OpenWRT.

Bill