[TriLUG] multibooting with syslinux not working

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Feb 25 20:06:19 EST 2012

Following a suggestion from Alan Porter I've installed Mint
Linux on a usb stick using unetbootin and Systemrescuecd on
a usb stick, using its own install method.

To be more precise, I installed them to different partitions
on the same usb stick after finding that both recipes for
making bootable usb sticks from isos are in fact wrappers to
the syslinux manual install.

Reading the webpages for syslinux, there is no mention of
multibooting. Presumably syslinux is just used for single
boot livecds and usbsticks. syslinux detects the bootable
partition by the active partition. I can multiboot by
changing the active partition with fdisk. That this works
shows that there's nothing has been overwritten for the
installs on each partition and they both are intact.

Changing the active partition is bit clunky. Knowing that
both partitions are capable of booting, I tried booting with
grub (from the harddisk). Both usb partitions boot, but get
a kernel panic on trying to mount the root partition. The
error message is that the available / partitions are
/dev/sda[1..7] (the correct number of partitions for the
hard disk) or /dev/sr0 (the cdrom). The usb flash drive
(presumably /dev/sdb) is not seen by the usb kernel booted
by grub on /dev/sda. There is an entry in device.map on the
hard disk for

(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb

which I hope tells grub that there's another drive out there
(whether it looks for sata or usb I don't know). Since these
usb rescue disks boot and run off the usb stick, I expect
the kernel and initrd has the appropriate usb drivers, so by
the time the usb stick goes to mount the root partition, it
will have loaded the usb drivers (well I hope so, but I
don't know.)

Looking in syslinux.cfg, there is no entry for the root
partition, even though syslinux allows you to specify one.
It seems that syslinux doesn't need you to specify a root
partition. Presumably syslinux mounts the bootable partition
and expects it to be root.

Anyone know how to get around the usb stick not finding the
root partition when booted from grub (but boots OK with
syslinux)?

thanks Joe