[TriLUG] Base 64 (perl) regular expressions

Matt Flyer matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Wed Mar 7 17:41:10 EST 2012

Thank you very much!
Sent via BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Schrab <aaron at schrab.com>
Sender: trilug-bounces at trilug.org
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 17:29:54
To: Triangle Linux Users Group General Discussion<trilug at trilug.org>
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Base 64 (perl) regular expressions

At 17:09 -0500 07 Mar 2012, matt at noway2.thruhere.net wrote:
>What I am not understanding, and would like to ask the perl experts
>here is: what is the (?: part of the expression?  I don't recall
>reading about that in any perl book and Googling is giving me some
>pages with it used, but no explanation.

That indicates that the that set of parentheses is used for grouping,
but the matched text shouldn't be captured for later use.  It's use
there is likely just as a minor optimization, the expression would match
the same things without the ?: portion.

Modifiers for parentheses including that one are documented in the
"Extended Patterns" section of the perlre manpage.
--
This message was sent to: Matt Flyer <matt at noway2.thruhere.net>