[TriLUG] IPv6 migration resistance

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Sat Mar 10 12:13:37 EST 2012

The business case for IPv6 is that it can now cost you $5/month for an IPv4
address (http://blog.dreamhosters.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=974). Of course
big players won't be paying this, but IPv6 is "free" in terms of
per-address fees. This is the same thing that will happen with electric vs
gasoline cars: once price per mile of travel equalizes between two energy
storage types, there will be a massive switch.

I am fairly certain it will not take 10 years: it may be another year or
two, but at one point we'll see a giant shift where everyone jumps into
IPv6 because it's cheaper. It will then take 10 years to turn off IPv4 and
stop supporting it.

Igor