[TriLUG] OT: Questions about AT&T U-verse

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Thu Mar 15 16:43:50 EDT 2012

I switched to them a little over a year ago, IIRC.

When I tested, I was getting 27Mbps down and 8Mbps up. That prompted my switch from TWC, as
DOCSIS3 was not available to me at that time. It is now.

I use their router, it isn't terrible.  IMO, their DVR is _much_ better than the
HD-DVR I had from TWC. Every time a new HD-DVR came out from TWC, I would upgrade,
as they were always slow.  I haven't felt the need to upgrade, this one, yet.
I think it is also better than the HD-DVR I had from DirecTV when I switched.

They ran Cat-5 to my TVs instead of using the coax. Fortunately, my TVs are all on the
first floor, so running the wires in the basement was easy.

I had planned to drop the TV after the trial period, but I kept it since the
DVR was so much better than either TWC or DirecTV.

I had no problems sending outgoing mail from my server, once I got through several
layers of tech support drones to get someone who understood the problem. They needed
to make some change somewhere to let it through.

AFAICT, I have not had a single outage since I signed up.

Chris

Oh, there is one place where the DVR isn't as good - searching and custom recording
options (such as recording based on a keyword).  It is still better than TWC's DVR,
but not as good as DirecTV, IMO.

On 3/15/2012 4:11 PM, David Both wrote:
> Does anyone have any recent experience with AT&T U-verse?
>
> I am thinking of dropping my TWC TC Cable and TW Business Class Internet and going with ATT which
> has a better price and higher Internet speeds while providing static IP addresses for a modest fee.
> TW only does static IPs with Business Class. And my cable TV cost is outrageous even with the
> so-called "retention" which is a lot less benefit when you only have the TV and not the full 3-way
> package.
>
> I am looking for information on QOS, advertised speed vs actual, overall satisfaction, and any
> service issues and satisfaction with ATT response to problems.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services