[TriLUG] OT: Questions about AT&T U-verse

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Thu Mar 15 21:42:08 EDT 2012

On Mar 15, 2012, at 9:37 PM, Chris Short wrote:

> Did not know about all the problems with TWC DOCSIS 3. DOCSIS 2 service
> here at the house has been great. One outage in almost a year. Sure the
> speed is what it is but, I can't complain about the reliability. Will not
> be looking to upgrade now until they get all that mess sorted out.

I don't think my problems have anything to do with DOCSIS. I think it has a lot to do with aging last mile infrastructure. I live in an older neighborhood. My house was built during the Jimmy Carter administration. I've had other TWC techs comment on how badly neglected the neighborhood wiring looks, but nobody seems to be empowered or inclined to do anything about that.

AT&T's service isn't necessarily any better generally speaking, but their wiring in my neighborhood is in much better shape, so for my house it probably makes more sense.

But only because the local TWC crew is content to let the neighborhood infrastructure compost itself. :-(

If you live in a newer neighborhood, I don't think you're going to have the kinds of problems that I have.

-M